   Re: [xml-dev] Identifying Data for Interchange [was: XML Components]

[Happy New Year]

I will presume to give an answer to the question that you ask Tony, and
though it proceeds out of my experience in processing transactions in
financial instruments, I am quite certain that it is not what Tony would
say:

Tony is correct that exchanging data which the recipient is required to
calculate anew has been anathema in the design of financial processing
systems to date. XML, the internetwork topology, and the REST principles
change all that. Or, at least, the promise that the {shudder} new paradigm
offers is that the use of (in this example, financial) data need no longer
be confined solely to the cartel who agree a priori precisely how that data
is to be processed--which is to say, they agree precisely what, and only
what, it is to be used for. In the traditional world of financial
processing, where the parties have already agreed in advance precisely what
processing is to be done, it is a needless exposure to risk in the
vicissitudes of transmission to send unprocessed data and rely on the
recipient to process it correctly when the agreed upon output of processing
could have been sent instead.

But our subject is not the closed cartel of traditional financial
processing, but instead how XML *Components* (to cite the title of this
thread) and the data for interchange might be better designed for a
different environment. When that environment is an internetwork, where the
processing nodes have neither the intimate knowledge of each other's
functions nor the agreed roles which they would have in the traditional
homogenous enterprise network, the REST principles provide our best design
guide. That is, each processing node should publish at a URL the particular
unique output of its processing *without regard for what other nodes might
subsequently use that data, for what purpose, or in what form*. Other nodes
with an interest in that data--whether that interest is one that the
original processor knows or 'approves' of, or not--may GET that output and
then perform their own particular processing upon it.

What then is the proper and the most efficient form of data for interchange?
In the internetwork world, in a system designed on REST principles, and with
XML available as a markup tool, the best form for interchange is the
specific form in which the expertise of each process is most perfectly
captured, which is to say the native form of that process's output, without
regard for what processes will use that data further down the line and in
what form they might wish to receive it.

Respectfully,

Walter Perry