   Re: [xml-dev] SkunkLink: a skunkworks XML linking proposal

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:21:20 -0600, Bullard, Claude L (Len)
<clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

> Are hypertext controls the best way to get the job done? Why?

Who knows?  Who cares?   HTML was derided by hypertext gurus, but those
stupid little href attributes have proven to be immensely useful, and new
uses are showing up all the time (Google, Weblogs, bookmarklets ....).  It
seems to me that Micah's argument is simply "Let XML have the proven
benefits of src and href now rather than waiting for the One True Linking
Spec to emerge."

Can XML on the Web live up to its potential until Google knows how XML
documents are linked?  What's the best way to make that happen, persuade
Google (and the rest of the world) to support XLink, or put the linking
construct that Google (and the rest of the world) understands into XML?

> Because it is common isn't a sufficient argument. So were handcranks for
> starting automobiles.

So is gravity.   Did people wait around for Newton to figure out its
mathematical properties before using gravity to drive waterwheels,
catapults, etc.?  Did very many people who ignored the power of gravity
because they didn't understand how it works survive to tell the tale? :-)