   RE: [xml-dev] SkunkLink: a skunkworks XML linking proposal

From: Mike Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:21:20 -0600, Bullard, Claude L (Len)
<clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

>> Are hypertext controls the best way to get the job done? Why?

>Who knows?

Doug Englebart, Ted Nelson, Tim Berners-Lee, let the list thrive of
those who have claimed to understand this topic.

The question is designed to elicit a discussion of "The Job".

>Who cares?

The owner of The Job.

>HTML was derided by hypertext gurus,

Who cares?  It still is.

>....but those stupid little href attributes have proven to be immensely useful

For?  That's the meat.

>Can XML on the Web live up to its potential until Google knows how XML
>documents are linked?

Who knows?  In fact, until you can tell Google finally what a link is
and does, who cares?

>What's the best way to make that happen, persuade
>Google (and the rest of the world) to support XLink, or put the linking
>construct that Google (and the rest of the world) understands into XML?

I'd wager they have to understand a lot more than that to do Their Job.

>> Because it is common isn't a sufficient argument. So were handcranks for
>> starting automobiles.

>So is gravity.

Ever try to obsolete or upgrade gravity?

len