   Re: [xml-dev] Round 2: Identifying Data for Interchange

<Excerpt1>
Disadvantages:

    - A client typically does not have all the data necessary, nor
      the algorithms necessary to generate a good recommendation.

In this example, the advantages of sending derived is overwhelming.

SUMMARY

When the data being interchanged is data from a Service then most likely
the data should "derived data".  Otherwise, the "Service" is not
providing much of a "service".
</Excerpt1>

An additional example may be the calculation of a value, such as a
monthly payment for an auto loan.  Should the components of the payment
calculation (Annual Percentage Rate, principle, payment frequency, etc.)
be sent over the wire, or the actual calculated value?  Bandwidth
considerations would certainly point to sending the actual calculated
value, if it is available from the sender (also performance
considerations on the reciever side for the re-calculation of the
value).  However, there may be some distinct cases in which the
individual components may need to be sent, perhaps because an additional
parameter is to be factored into the calculation on the receiver end
(and only the receiver has that parameter value).  In a nutshell, I
believe it is up to the specific case, and so it is very difficult to
define a best practice for this.

<Excerpt2>
How do the two systems "bridge the semantic gap"?

One approach would be for one system to "give in" and adopt the other
systems semantics.  That is highly unlikely.  Both systems will fight
like "cat and dogs" to keep their semantics.  And there is good reason
for this - they have invested a lot of time and money to build
applications that process the data with those semantics.

With both systems the distance data is derived data - the data is
derived from the fundamental position data.  If we recognize this then
lots of grief and arguing can be avoided by agreeing to interchange the
fundamental position data.

Thus, we bridge the semantic gap by simply side-stepping it!
</Excerpt2>

Another approach would be for the 2 systems ("trading partners") to
establish a policy (AKA agreement/contract) stipulating which "distance
type" (line-of-sight or ground) all distance values exchanged between
the 2 represent.  Perhaps this could be stipulated as part of the "Web
Service Policy".

An additional approach would be for both partners to adopt a common,
publicly developed standard (vocabulary) for the exchange of this
information (hypothetically assuming there is one).  The "distance type"
would thereby be stiplulated by the means dictated within the
vocabulary, perhaps by using an additional attribute as follows:

<distance to="distination airport" type="line-of-sight">590</distance>

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

"Roger L. Costello" wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Thanks again for all your input.  It has been most enlightening!
>
> I have taken all your comments, assimilated them, and I believe that I
> have found a new perspective on this issue that may alter things quite a
> bit.  Before I present this "new perspective" it is important that I
> recap what was discussed.
>
> RECAP
>
> Issue: What are the defining characteristics of data that is "suitable"
> for being interchanged?  Conversely, what are the defining
> characteristics of data that is "not suitable" for being interchanged?
>
> To provide a basis for discussion, I present two examples:
>
> 1. AIRCRAFT EXAMPLE: onboard an aircraft is a system that periodically
> transmits to a ground station some information.  Included in this
> information is:
>
>      - Distance to Destination Airport
>      - Distance to Navigation Aid
>      - Distance to Emergency Airport
>
> 2. FINANCIAL INSTITUTION EXAMPLE: a financial institution provides
> recommendations to its clients on what to do with their stock shares.
> The information sent to its clients is a recommendation:
>
>       - Buy, Sell, Hold
>
> Let's look at each of these examples.
>
> AIRCRAFT EXAMPLE
>
> What data should be sent to the ground station? That is, what data is
> "suitable" for interchange?  Your first instinct might be to send
> "Distance-to-X" data.  For example:
>
>      <distance to="destination airport">590</distance>
>      <distance to="navigation aid">140</distance>
>      <distance to="emergency airport">75</distance>
>
> Let's consider the advantages and disadvantages of interchanging
> distance data.
>
> Advantages:
>
>    - The sender and receiver will have the same value for the
>      distance.  There is no ambiguity due to miscalculation.
>
>    - If we think of the aircraft as a "service" then it is
>      providing a service by taking its raw position data and
>      calculating the distance.  A client may not have the ability
>      to compute the distance from raw data, so being able to receive
>      the distance data is valuable to the client.
>
> Disadvantages:
>
>     - Distance data may be important to the client, but it has
>       limited utility.  It discards much of the information
>       that recipients of the data could potentially want. For
>       example, it doesn't allow recipients to compute things like
>       heading, location relative to another aircraft, etc.  Thus,
>       the client has paid for the service with a lack in
>       flexibility of the data.
>
> Rather than interchanging Distance-to-X data the aircraft system could
> send more fundamental data - position data.  Let's consider the
> advantages and disadvantages of interchanging position data.
>
> Advantages:
>
>    - With position data a recipient could not only know the distance
>      of the aircraft, but could also determine the aircraft heading,
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano