   Re: [xml-dev] Famous web services with apparent serious XML schemaerrors

> What was intended was something functionally equivalent to this
> <xsd:complexType name="AuthorArray">
>   <xsd:sequence>
>      <xsd:element name="Author" type="xsd:string"  minOccurs="0"
> maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>   </xsd:sequence>
> </xsd:complexContent>
> apparently using the soap encodings to get higher efficiency by having
> attributes that can be parsed to determined the number of items in the array
> and their type.

Recall that SOAP predates XML Schema.

> 3.  For some reason, possibly to satisfy the caprices of some early soap
> tools, the services return results that look like this:
> <Authors SOAP-ENC:arrayType="xsd:string[2]"
> xsi:type="SOAP-ENC:Array">
>   <Author xsi:type="xsd:string">Reiner Westermeier</Author>
>   <Author xsi:type="xsd:string">Tom Naven</Author>
> </Authors>
> Xerces correctly rejects these also, since the declared type of Authors is
> derived from the xsi:type, which is backwards and illegal.  (Notice that the
> soap-enc:arrayType is a typo -- should be "tns:Author[2]").

That looks like self-describe SOAP 1.1 array to me.  Declaring the type
via xsi:type allows interpretation without a schema.  And you're wrong
about the tns:Author[2].

Suggest you read the SOAP 1.1 spec, not the 1.2 specs.
        /r$