   RE: [xml-dev] Still not the essence of XML (was Re: [xml-dev] S-express

  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Still not the essence of XML (was Re: [xml-dev] S-expressions vs. XML)
  • From: "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:56:25 -0800

I was a bit more charitable when reading the paper -- I assumed that the introductory comment about XML "deficiencies" was simply meant to acknowledge that there is a strain between the two common uses of XML (as syntax vs. as data) and not to "point a gun".

Obviously, XML is being used increasingly to exchange data model instances where data modeling is as important as syntax.  People are stretching XML beyond its roots in SGML.  Like Simon argues, maybe it would have been better if those people had decided to work with something besides XML (although one can understand that people are misled, considering the data-model orientation of many recent W3C specs, including XSD -- which is all about "hierarchical data modeling").  I didn't really see the Simeon/Wadler paper as an attempt to advocate one position or the other, but rather as an attempt to describe XML in terms of more "pure" data models and determine whether it works out.  Happily for the people using XML for data modeling, it looks like things are not so bad.