   RE: [xml-dev] Still not the essence of XML (was Re: [xml-dev] S-e xpress

Possibly.  It's probably:

1. There are more data wranglers overall than document
wranglers at the level of the frameworks where XML
is applied/developed (database islands, messaging, etc)

2.  People doing documents tend to favor HTML where
all of the more important rendering and address/location
issues have been resolved (Save As HTML, compile HTML Help, etc).

2. Dare isn't intimately involved with the documentation
folks.

My impression is that the database folks are more involved
in the server side antics of the web, and that XML exports
from document (say WYSIWYG) systems are still rare.  They
weren't numerous for SGML either, were pricey, and tended to
be installed only in very large organizations with either
contractural requirements (say CALS) or very long lifecycle
documents (say aerospace).

Note that Microsoft has apparently booted away its work on
creating XML-based Help systems.  I have to wonder about
that one.

len