   RE: [xml-dev] Still not the essence of XML (was Re: [xml-dev] S-e xpres

At 4:08 PM -0600 1/13/03, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

>I wonder if the SGML vendors will simply make XML a checkbox on
>the list of doable things and drop their prices.  XML won't kill
>SGML until it can do everything SGML can do as well as SGML can
>do it.  Harrumphs will be ignored if one wants to flame that.

There are no "SGML vendors", they have all styled themselves "XML vendors".

Many of them still support SGML, they just don't advertise SGML support. XML won't kill SGML  unless it mutates in such a way that tool vendors can't  support both XML and SGML from the same code base. If that happens they will, probably reluctantly, drop support for their oldest customers. Unless that happens, a lot of software will be silently SGML capable.

-- Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@mulberrytech.com