   RE: [xml-dev] XPath validation against a schema rather that against an

> Heres a question I was asked today which struck me:
>
> >Is there any way I can validate a XPATH against a XML Schema
> (and not
> >against the XML document)
>
> I don't know of anything like this.

The static typing feature of XPath 2.0 and XQuery 1.0 does just this:
see the formal semantics document if you want the gory detail.

We are still debating, though, whether there are circumstances in which
it is legitimate to use an XPath expression even though it can be
statically determined to return nothing. (XSLT 1.0, for example,
recommends the use of "/.." to achieve exactly this).

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com