   RE: [xml-dev] Adam Bosworth Article - what does "direct access" mean?

dareo@microsoft.com (Dare Obasanjo) writes:
>Aah Simon, you keep dancing this dance. To most programmers [in fact to
>almost every one I've interacted with] XML is about structured data not
>about markup. Those of us who cater to programmers want to make their
>lives easier and APIs like the W3C DOM and SAX do not go far enough.

And I'll keep dancing this dance long after you're tired of it. (You
were tired at the start, I think.)

It's an understatement to say that I'm sick and tired of programmers and
database developers trying to cram what XML does into their particular
views of the world - and worse, to inflict those views on XML itself
through a standards process gone rotten.

Someone needs to tell those people that some degree of appreciation for
XML's fundamentals is necessary if they hope to take advantage of XML
instead of just shoveling it into whatever they happen to be doing.  If
vendors are too busy selling shovels to be bothered, someone else has to
fill the gap.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!