   more patent fun

In case yesterday's Eldred vs. Ashcroft wasn't exciting enough
intellectual property news for you, may I recommend this bit of writing
by Microsoft's David Turner:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-patentpolicy-comment/2003Jan/
0140.html

(http://makeashorterlink.com/?N2B216E13)

Conclusion:
-------------------------
We urge the W3C and the Advisory Committee to evaluate the precedent
setting RF-only nature of the proposed patent policy in the context of
whether or not it will enable the W3C to remain a good forum for
developing web standards.  If RF only, without reasonable exceptions is
adopted and leads to key consumers of web-based standards, such as
consumer electronics and telecommunications members, going elsewhere,
will the core web standards continue to be developed at the W3C?  Will
those web standards avoid the patents of those enterprises no longer
participating in the W3C process?  Will those standards be used as the
foundation for other standards?  Given these concerns and questions the
W3C should be cautious about adopting this RF-only policy backed by some
vocal parties whose primary interests are unrelated to the W3C's ability
to continue to develop widely adopted web standards.

It reads like a threat to me, but I suppose it's possible to read it
more gently.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!