   RE: [xml-dev] Adam Bosworth Article - what does "direct access" mean?

Sir,

I have no idea what you intended to contribute to this discussion. As a
"programmer weenie", I feel confident that you have no interest in my
opinion, but by promulgating this puerile drivel, you've earned a
special place in my regard. I don't know if it is your pedantic
sophistry or your insufferable rudeness which annoys me most. I do know
that your sorrow "not to have been proved wrong" strikes me more as
gloating than anything else and your narrow view of what XML can be has
devolved into a shibboleth you use to identify those worthy of your
excoriation.

I find XML useful in designing complex business systems because the
document-oriented nature of XML is better able to model many business
process artifacts than either the object-oriented or relational
paradigms. However, programming languages allow me to construct the
logic of these applications, and relational databases still offer
advantages in storage and retrieval. Hence, I'm very interested ways to
make these disparate models talk to each other in effective and
efficient ways.  I'm definitely not interested in "snatching" anything
away from you or anybody else.  I don't see "direct access" as anything
more than easier way(s) to incorporate XML documents into the systems I
design.  You may believe that I'm designing these systems incorrectly,
but I fail to see how this is a threat to XML in the general case.

John Cavnar-Johnson