   Re: [xml-dev] Adam Bosworth Article - what does "direct access" mean?

> None. What would be the point? I do have a full schedule and better things
> to do with my time than score points for smirking off those who drop in to
> XML-DEV a time or two and then disappear.

Luckily I have been here for a while now so I want to raise a few questions,
because even though I have been here for a while I don't pretend to
understand it all-- I am still a "programmer weenie" but view the term as a
soft, friendly term of admiration and respect : ).

Now, I do serialize native programming objects to XML. Let the arrows sling.
And I go the other direction back to the objects. But I feel like this is
100% in the spirit of XML. I don't serialize to XML just for the fun of it
(well, maybe sometimes...) as it does take processor and memory. But to
expose my data to the rest of the world.

> The richness or value of XML as data is observably in inverse proportion
> its intent.

Agreed, that is my point. I have all of this _information_ wrapped up in a
programming object, but I don't want to limit my interactions to those who
use my particular programming language-- I write to XML so that the W.E.
Perrys of the world can use my data in ways I never imagined. This seems
like a tremendous benefit to XML-- taking the data out of rigid systems and
putting into (rigid) XML is fine. It can still be used in a marvelous
variety of ways.

I can also use XML tools (such as XSLT) to get infinitely various data back
into my system-- data that may have never been intended for my system.
Again, this seems like it is in the spirit of XML. Now, I do know that my
underlying assumption is that there is some "data" or "information" that I
expect or hope to find. It may or may not be there.

So, where did I get off the boat?

All the best,
Jeff Rafter
Defined Systems
http://www.defined.net
XML Development and Developer Web Hosting