   RE: [xml-dev] Facts to Support RAND? was: Re: [xml-dev] more patent fun

Bullard, Claude L (Len) writes:

 > BTW, I agree that the copyright laws are becoming ever more absurd.
 > Apparently so did Ginsburg but stated rightly, it is not their job
 > to set policy for Congress.  OTOH, anyone who thinks that the
 > international systems for patents will vanish in an act of good
 > will toward the Internet or for the particular good of open source
 > software simply isn't in business.

Note that patents on software and algorithms are not that common
outside the U.S., though I understand that the E.U. was considering
them.  The U.S. just got a little silly about the whole thing --
unfortunately, it's the one market that's too big for the rest of us
to ignore.  I wonder how long it will be until the USPTO starts
granting patents for book and movie plots.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, david@megginson.com, http://www.megginson.com/