   Re: [xml-dev] ConciseXML syntax

> On Friday 17 January 2003 17:06, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> > > ConciseXML solves the verbosity and ambiguity of
> > > XML 1.0 while while remaining compatible with
> > > XML 1.0.  ConciseXML is designed for data as
> > > well as documents.
> > >
> > > ConciseXML has four key improvements to XML 1.0:
> >
> > "ConciseXML" is *not* compatible with XML 1.0.  I wish you would drop this
> > inflammatory claim.
>
> Doesn't that depend on what you mean by compatability? My printer and my
> computer are very different things, but with the right adapter they're
> compatible. If conciseXML and XML 1.0 can be cross-converted without
> information loss then they're way more compatible than my printer and my PC,
> let alone that ConciseXML seems to be a superset of XML 1.0 :-)
>
> Now, "compatible" is, in my opinion, a symmetrical relationship; if A is
> compatible with B then B is compatible with A, right?
>
> So if ConciseXML was a subset of XML, eg XML-minus-doctype and so on, would
> you then allow it to be called compatible?
>
> Because if not, then what *is* compatible with XML?
>
> Anyway... my point is, I think it's wrong to say that Concise isn't
> compatible with XML. It might be more valid to accuse it of being a set of
> non-standard extensions to XML that could cause problems if writers start
> producing them without knowing beforehand that the readers will be able to
> read them...

All true.  My objection to their usage depends heavily on custom within the
XML community.  I thought this would go without saying, but I guess not.
Without a doubt, their usage is bound to cause confusion, and is not bound to
win them many friends among others int he XML community.  That is why I wish
they would drop the inflammatory claim.

Python Generators + DOM - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/01/08/py-xml.html
4Suite Repository Features - https://www6.software.ibm.com/reg/devworks/dw-x4su
ite5-i/