   Re: [xml-dev] ConciseXML syntax and compatibility

David,

David Megginson wrote:

>Mike Plusch writes:

<snip>

>Note, also, that the W3C holds a trademark on "XML" and can use it to
>prevent any potentially misleading uses of the term.  I'd recommend
>finding a name without "XML" in it sooner, so that you're not forced
>to change a lot more material later.  Something like "ConciseML" would
>probably be OK.

I just checked at:
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/ipr-notice-20021231#W3C_Trademarks

And found the following:

> Terms which claimed as generic are not governed by any W3C license and
> are used as common descriptors by the W3C.

<snip>

> XML (generic), Extensible Markup Language

Don't take this as legal advice or even accurate facts. Any "official"
types for the W3C care to comment?

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau