   RE: [xml-dev] WebServices disagreements

On Sun 1/19/2003 4:01 PM EST Gerben Rampaart wrote:
> I didn't really 'get' this article ... Can someone with a more trained
> eye filter out the exact problem ... and will this problem somehow
> hinder the evolution of Web-Services?

Hello Gerben:

My take on the ZD article is that enterprises are developing or purchasing
applications that have web services capabilities.  You can probably grasp
that most IT developers have the capability to build such systems.  Now
comes the part about how an enterprise sets up individual transactions,
especially with trading partners, who will or can do that.  This is the
orchestration part mentioned in the article.  Normally business analysts,
project managers, even marketing types would set those transactions up.
Today those transactions are set up through paper mail, faxing, telephone
calls, which are technologies most office type of people are familiar with.
This group of people is not usually IT fluent, nor do they have a desire to
do "programming" or even "configuration".  So who is going to set up the
automatic web services so Company A can send a PO to company B, which in
turn will create work orders in a custom shop floor system and reserve
inventory in their SAP system?  Each of those individual system have already
been written and have web services established, but their interfaces sit
idle waiting for packets to come through.

This is an old problem in enterprises that the business folks need to work
more and more with IT systems.  If the business folks need to write a
project (which costs money) to make orchestration happen for every
transaction that is to be automated through web services, then you can
imagine the lack of speed in moving web services forward, at least as
imagined by the author of the ZD article.

Regards,
Ralph