   Re: [xml-dev] XML and ConciseXML

> mplusch@clearmethods.com wrote:
> >Isn't there anyone out there who thinks it
> >is ridiculous to have a syntax that uses
> >126 characters to express an integer?
>

> Yes, the person who made this particular bit of markup probably
> shouldn't have.

I don't want to get into this troll-war, but I strongly disgree here.  Who are
you to say that they shouldn't have marked it up that way?  What do you know
of the context involved?  If I have an XML schema for employees in a company,
and in one of the companies represented in such a document there is only one
employee, it might be expressed as:

</employees></org>

Someone, coming across this sole document might say "what the hell? why didn't
they just simplify to "<name>Uche Ogbuji</name>"?

But they would be missing the whole context that the document is meant to
conform to a schema used in more general situations, and by conforming to that
schema, even though it is more complex, it allows for general processing by
tools for that schema.

So a character count, is, IMHO, the sort of methodology for criticizing XML
that a troll would take up.  And I have a lot of difficulty seeing Mike Plisch
as anything other.

Python Generators + DOM - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/01/08/py-xml.html
4Suite Repository Features - https://www6.software.ibm.com/reg/devworks/dw-x4su
ite5-i/