   FW: [xml-dev] Can XML Schemas do this?

  • To: "[public XML-DEV]" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: FW: [xml-dev] Can XML Schemas do this?
  • From: "Alessandro Triglia" <sandro@MCLINK.IT>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:52:40 -0500

Let me see.  If a specification defines a set of possible messages and
*says* that a certain subset of them are just syntactical variations of
a message with identical semantics, nobody should (in theory) dream of
attaching any specific semantics to the different messages of the
subset.

However, the reality is often that either specifications don't say that
in a sufficiently clear and explicit way, or people just don't listen,
because the temptation is strong.  The result may be misunderstanding,
abuse, interoperability problems, etc.  Reducing the synctactical
variations under (2) above helps to avoid this kind of problems.

Alessandro Triglia