   RE: [xml-dev] Facts to Support RAND? was: Re: [xml-dev] more pate nt fun

As I said to Jeff offline, it is becoming a cost
item and frightens the peasants.  Time to get
the pitchforks out and go monster hunting.  If
Frankie turns out to be a lawyer, so much the
easier.

Seriously, someone in the American Congress
has to start taking the IPR issues to heart.
For that to happen, people have to be disturbed
enough to make it an issue worthy of some
campaign spending and speeches.  It isn't
likely, but Rick is right that this is affecting
global trade.  Given the really high costs
for these cases (our hardware division melted down
while we fought Intel to defend our hardware
patents), one would think it would be in everyone's
interest to fix the problems.

IMO, flakey patents are like frivolous lawsuits
just as you suggest.   As usual, the consensus
issue should be jobs.

len

From: John Evdemon [mailto:jevdemon@acm.org]

On 23 Jan 2003 at 10:45, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> It is time for organizations to begin to talk to
> candidates for high office about real patent reform,
> what is required and what it will take to get it.

Not nearly enough.  This is another illustration of the
need for tort reform, although I doubt we see this happen
anytime soon (how likely is it that a bunch of lawyers will
vote for tort or even patent reform??)