   Re: [xml-dev] many-to-many

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> Bill de hÓra posted something on www-tag that's very much worth
> contemplating, even if you don't like it.
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jan/0301.html
> The juicy bit is:

[ Inserting the bit immediately prior to that: -JE ]

| I would like to TAG to advise on
| the structural relationship between URIs and what it is they
| identify, namely the Resources (hereafter 'things').
> >
> >I offer an opinion. The relationship between URIs and things is many
> >to many. One URI will be used to denote many things. A thing will be
> >denoted by many URIs.

I'll offer a counteropinion:

There is no such thing as a "Resource".

URIs don't Identify anything on their own.
Other technologies (RDF, XMLNS, HTTP, etc.)
*use* URIs to Identify things.  The nature of
the thing Identified depends on who's doing
the Identification.

If we dispose of the inconvenient fiction
of a "Resource", most of the metaphysical hooey
surrounding URIs goes away.

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com