   Re: [xml-dev] Is Resource/Representation a fruitful abstraction?

Mike Champion wrote,
> Clearly one *can* use the discipline of "Resource Oriented
> Programming" (I believe the phrase is Paul Prescod's) to do
> interesting things, as Tim has done. My skepticism kicks in when one
> asserts that this is *the* architecture of the Web rather than *an*
> architecture within which one can do useful things with the Web.
> Furthermore, the extent to which Resource Oriented Programming and/or
> REST is a best practice for the Web seems to be an open empirical
> question; I'd like to see it addressed empirically, i.e. do RESTfully
> correct sites tend to be more "successful" in some measureable way
> than are those that don't appear to use its principles?

Violent agreement here.

I also think that "Resource Oriented Programming", or something similar,
is a useful design methodology or organizing principle. But that's
_all_ it is, and like you I see no reason why it should be promoted at
the expense of all other methodologies or organizing principles.

Cheers,

Miles