   RE: [xml-dev] RDDL and WSDL

Simon St.Laurent said:
> I see that no one's replied to this question yet again.  I'm still not
> entirely sure why I'd want to use RDDL to identify WSDL resources, since

The concept is an API.  If it has a URI, great.  If it can be
resolved, excellent.  If I get a choice as to what representation of
the resource I want, even better.

I'm not sure RDDL is the right thing, as currently scoped
as a "namespace document" -- but the idea of a resolved URI
providing an index of descriptive representations of
a concept/resource ... is appealing.

> it seems to some extent that WSDL performs similar tasks (identifiying
> structures and processing) to RDDL.

A wsdl document, while technically readable by people
and machines, isn't always going to be the most
appropriate representation of a "web service" api.

I'd rather read http://www.fedora.info/definitions/1/0/api/
than http://www.fedora.info/definitions/1/0/api/Fedora-API-M.wsdl
The vision as I see it is, starting with a single URI, a
person/machine should be able to make the decision on which
representation is most appropriate.

- Chris