   Re: [xml-dev] Elliotte Rusty Harold on Web Services

Mike Champion scripsit:

> First, a question: I understand the first two all too well from following
> www-tag and xml-dev.  I don't understand the "security community detests WS
> because the violate fundamental network security principles" bit.

In short, because the default transport for SOAP is unmodified HTTP, which
means that security monitoring becomes very difficult; firewalls have to
have security controls at the SOAP-request level.  Basically, SunRPC is
detested for the same reason, and most firewalls block it, but it's tricky
to block SOAP without blocking innocent HTTP traffic.

> "Act from reason, and failure makes you rethink and study harder.
> Act from faith, and failure makes you blame someone and push harder"

I am not a faith-based person myself, but to those who are (I don't mean
fanatics), the second line should read "Act from faith, and failure makes
you rethink and push yourself harder."

"Whoever rules by intellect is a curse upon the land."
        --Dao De Jing 65 (LeGuin version)

--
Some people open all the Windows;       John Cowan
wise wives welcome the spring           jcowan@reutershealth.com