   Re: [xml-dev] Processing instruction guidelines

At 9:14 AM -0500 1/24/03, Norman Walsh wrote:

>- - Provide hints for line numbering of verbatim environments

What hints? Start number? If so, couldn't this be better handled by
an attribute? It seems like a fairly fundamental aspect of a verbatim
environment?

>- - Control the style of function synopses (K&R or ANSI)

That feels like a stylesheet parameter to me, or maybe the
funcsynopsis element should have a language attribute that allowed
you to select ANSI C, K&R C, Java, C++, Objective C, etc.

>- - Control presentation of some lists as blocks or tables
>- - Specify rotation for table cells
>- - Specify background color for table cells

All three of these could be controlled by stylesheet options or
separate stylesheets for separate effects. I'm not sure that would be
convenient enough but it could be done. It seems to me that this
mixes presentation with content. Putting the presentation info into
processing instructions instead of attributes really doesn't change
that. But maybe you do need to do this. I'm not sure.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |