   Re: [xml-dev] Tree v. Table - A relational XML object model...?

Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> You turn mixed content into non-mixed elements (temporarily, for the
> purposes of storage or table-modeling) by instantiating  an implied _text_
> element for each fragment of PCDATA.  You use an illegal "element" name so
> that you can later distinguish between PCDATA pseudo-elements and real
> elements.  The mixed example becomes, say,
>
> <doc><~text>This is</~text> <strong><~text>very</~text></strong>
> <~text>important.</~text></doc>

Charles Goldfarb (lead designer of SGML) actually suggested that we do
this in XML, simply forbid mixed content.  It would have simplified
processing at the cost of expressive power.  Might have been a good
trade-off.  Too late now.
--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)