   Re: [xml-dev] How do you remove comments from XML?

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 18:41, Dominica DeGrandis wrote:

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <configuration>
> 	<appSettings>
>        <!-- Start xxxx.Net -->
>             <!-- ServerType, PartnerAPI = 2, CorbisInternal = 1 -->
>             <add key="ServerType" value="1"/>
>             <!-- Framework -->
>             <add key="xxxxOne.Validations.ValidationConstructString"
> value="CONNECTIONSTRING=data"/>
>
> 	 <!-- End xxxx.Net -->
> 	</appSettings>

Are you really sure you don't want to be using PIs or just plain old
attributes and elements for this?

Really REALLY sure?

Because if you are then you're probably wrong :-)

Giving semantics to comments is a BAD THING because XML has other 'escape
routes' for putting pragmas/metadata/processing instructions and so on in.
Such as PIs.

<appSettings>
<?Corbis Start xxxx.Net ?>
<?Corbis ServerType, PartnerAPI = 2, CorbisInternal = 1 ?>
   <add key="ServerType" value="1"/>
   <?Corbis Framework ?>
   <add key="xxxxOne.Validations.ValidationConstructString"
        value="CONNECTIONSTRING=data"/>

<?Corbis End xxxx.Net ?>
</appSettings>

OR (because I don't like the matching <? Start ?> and <? End ?>:

<appSettings xmlns:Corbis="http://corbis.com/foo";>
<Corbis:xxxxNet ServerType="..." PartnerAPI="2" CorbisInternal="1">
   <add key="ServerType" value="1"/>
   <add Corbis:Framework="..."
        key="xxxxOne.Validations.ValidationConstructString"
        value="CONNECTIONSTRING=data"/>

</Corbis:xxxxNet>
</appSettings>

ABS

--
Oh, pilot of the storm who leaves no trace, Like thoughts inside a dream
Heed the path that led me to that place, Yellow desert screen