   Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 12:00 pm, Joe English wrote:
> OK, I'm deeply confused.  I'm having a hard time imagining
> any SGML application that doesn't at least care about
> element boundaries and attribute values.
>
> If these applications didn't use the ESIS, what could
> possibly be left over that they *did* use?

There were tools that used the ESIS, and tools that just used those to get
into some internal form. At that application level, even attributes and
elements didn't/don't exist.

There's something like this we see in XML processing. Many sysems do something
like:

  Document properties = loadProperties("foo.xml");

and other systems do this

  Properties properties = loadProperties("foo.xml");

Which of these uses a tree or ESIS? At an application level, is that
important?