   Re: [xml-dev] How do you remove comments from XML?

Dominica DeGrandis wrote:
> I'm writing a vb or vbscript program that uses the DOM to remove nodes in an
> XML file.
> I need to remove all the data between the two comment lines (see below),
> <!-- Start xxxx.Net --> and <!-- End xxxx.Net -->
> but the program errors when it hits the comment syntax. <! -->.
> I'm able to use "getElementsByTagName" or "selectNodes" for other nodes
> (like <appsettings> below) , but not for comments.
> It doesn't recognize the node even if I Dim it as IXMLDOMComment.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?

Dominica,

All one line:

sed -e "s/<\!-- Start [^\.]*\.Net -->//g" -e "s/<\!-- End
[^\.]*\.Net -->//g" in.xml > out.xml

If you're a pure MS shop and don't have a linux box lying about,
install cygwin from cygwin.org.

Echoing what others have said; whoever designed this XML needs a
stronger understanding of how XML comments work.

Bill de hÓra