   Re: [xml-dev] Registered Namespace prefixes

<Quote>
and thereby eliminate namespace scope and namespace forwarding issues.
</Quote>

2 questions please:

(1) What are "namespace scope issues"? Namespace scoping is a very
useful feature, similar to scoping of variables.

(2) What are "namespace forwarding issues"?

Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Jeff Lowery wrote:

> > I still don't see the point.
>
> Fair 'nuff.
>
> > I don't give a tinker's cuss if someone has registered "foo"
> > as a prefix, only
> > that when I see foo:bar, I know it really means "a purchase
> > order".
>
> And that's not the problem I'm trying to solve.
>
> My aim is more modest in function, if not impact: to eliminate namespace
> prefix declarations in documents, and thereby eliminate namespace scope and
> namespace forwarding issues.  To accomplish this, it seeks to make the
> prefix + local name the one and only true universal name, through the
> mechanism of a vetted registry. The prefix + local name become a bound,
> inseparable entity when parsed.
>
> Does it make the meaning of that universal name unique?  No.  People could
> still write schemas and such that associate different definitions to the
> same universal name.  That is still a problem, but a debatable one. "He said
> he'll murder the murder of crows that crows outside his bedroom window each
> morning" uses different identifiers to mean different things. Which thing it
> means depends on context.
>
> Is it really desirable to have a single set of associations, maintained
> officially,  for each universal name?   What about names associated with
> wildcard declarations?: Can they possibly 'mean' just one thing?
>
> I wasn't trying to address those questions... too deep for me.

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano