   Re: [xml-dev] Registered namespace prefixes

"W. E. Perry" wrote:

> james anderson wrote:
>
> > overstates the inferences which are properly made based on namespace names. it is claimed that
> >
> > "On the contrary, what remains are nothing but scope issues. The intent of namespaces is to disambiguate names by properly assigning them to semantic domains, ..."
> >
> > this would be a mistake. the intent of namespaces is to disambiquate qualified names by properly assigning them to collections of universal names. if you will,
> > "symbolic domains".
>
> I agree with that. But the purpose of such assignment in *processing XML* is to associate names with appropriate processing or, if you will, dispatch on the name
> correctly understood within its proper taxonomy (which I believe was Elliotte's point).

i do not understand his statement, that "namespaces enable [one to] to easily and quickly identify  which vocabulary a given element comes from" to be the same
as to "properly assigning them to semantic domains". there is an additional, essential step between a vocabulary and a semantic domain.