   Re: [xml-dev] Schemas as Promises and Expectations

[W. E. Perry
>     3) the expertise of a processing node is expressed in the
transformation of
> what is available to consume into a particular form specific to the
process
> which produces it (rather than conditioned on the 'expectations' of the
> 'intended' consumers of that product). In order to achieve such an
application
> of expertise, a processing node must choose what to fetch as input, must
> instantiate that data in a form specific to particular process, regardless
of
> the form in which that data might originally be found, and must express in
the
> particular form of output the value added by the process performed.

I agree with you in principle - or maybe I mean that I would __like__ to.
But I do not think that the consuming node can accept just anything and
successfully transform it to a preferred form.  In my experience (more
limited than yours, I know), the incoming documents have to fit within
__some__ bounds.  The easiest case, I suppose, is that there might be extra
elements which can be ignored.

More important, perhaps, is that the incoming documents have a stable
format.  You can adapt to nearly anything as long as it is consistent.

So are you arguing for Don's point, which I take to be the following -

A producer should consistently produce according to some definite schema
(lower-case schema, not just WXS, of course), and a consumer should design
around using some (possibly different) definite schema, converting as
needed.

Is that it (and Don, did I catch your point accurately?) ?

Cheers,

Tom P