   RE: [xml-dev] Schemas as Promises and Expectations

To me, a schema, is a mechanism for the _partial_ validation of an
XML document. It is useful as a tool to address some of the more
tedious parts of that validation process. Also, I look at the problem
such that there may actually be at least three schemas. One for what
the producer actually emits, one that is the agreed upon schema for
interchange, and a third that is used by the consumer to aid in its
processing of the document. The first producer schema is generally a
subset of the interchange schema, but the relationship between the
interchange and the consumer schema may be such that neither is a
subset of the other and that they are merely intersecting sets. I
believe that the decoupling of the interchange and consumer schemas
may prevent a lot of consumer implementation issues from creeping
into the interchange schema. What I believe you are talking about in
your three points below are IMO consumer schema issues and should not
be in the interchange schema.

Regards,
Don Bate