   Re: [xml-dev] Arbitrary grouping

Using a Schematron approach might be appropriate
in this case. Depending upon how arbitrary the
grouping is, it may be a more practical means
as opposed to permuting all the possible groupings.

Basically, XSLT templates are used to apply integrity
constraints written as XPath expressions. The loosely coupled
tests which result can flexibly apply across multiple
structures in ways which are not practical to implement
using a syntax such as W3 Schema. It isn't an either-or
scenario: schemas can be combined with schematron too.

A better explanation is at
http://www.topologi.com/public/Schtrn_XSD/Paper.html
See also
http://www.topologi.com/products/validator/index.html