   RE: [xml-dev] FW: Tim Bray "Let's Move XML-DEV"

Here is the fulltext of Tim's Blog post:

---

To the extent that there is such a thing as an XML community, it's found at
a few conferences and on the xml-dev mailing list. Like many electronic
communities, xml-dev suffers from a few tedious permathreads, from regular
childish ranting, and from side-trips into the abstruse. But if you ask a
hard technical question on XML there, you'll probably get an answer, almost
immediately. The problem is that the mailing list is mismanaged, broken,
unreliable, inaccessible, and really ought to find a new home with competent
grownup minders.

I have just been silently dumped off the list membership for the second time
in the last year. I went to check the list archive to make sure that it
wasn't just an extended quiet spell, except for the list archive is broken.
I tried to re-subscribe, but I got an air-headed error message and no
response.

This kind of egregious stupidity has been going on for years.

I'm not going to dignify the organization that allegedly runs xml-dev by
naming them here, but if someone in the community who's reasonably neutral
and had the resources wanted to stick up their hand and offer to host the
mailing list, I'd be delighted to help with the migration.

---

Right on, Tim.  I am with you 100% on this.

I am not used to being dignified so I'll name the organization.  I was never
happy with OASIS hosting XML-DEV, but didn't complain beyond minor whining
out of respect for Jon Bosak.  If we can't find a few large companies to
sponsor XML-DEV's own home, lets fund it ourselves and give it a proper
home, responsive admins, and some proper tools like a Wiki to control
permathreads.

Come to think of it, why not take this opportunity to turn XML-DEV into a
legit non-profit organization?

Best,

Don Park
Docuverse