   Re: [xml-dev] whitespace in 1.1

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 21:48:06 -0500
"Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

> It doesn't look like XML 1.1 changes the S production of XML 1.0, so
> while NEL is permitted in element and attribute content, it isn't
> considered whitespace inside of markup components like tags and
> declarations.
>
> Is that a correct reading, or have I missed a tidbit someplace?

I asked about this, and was told that it's supposed to be normalized to
LF before whitespace processing happens.  At which point I asked why CR
was part of the S production, and was given this hideous hack, using
parameter entities, that allows one to force an un-normalized CR into
attribute content.  Which struck me as a completely bizarre and useless
form of backward compatibility with SGML (the reason, insofar as I
understand it, to preserve the hackishness of this particular hack), but
so it goes.

Seriously strange corners of XML.  CR cannot appear in content when the
S production is applied, except if you pull some 'rageous nonsense to
make it do so, at which point one really *wonders* why it ought to be
considered a space at all.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone, it has to made, like bread,