   Re: [xml-dev] XML-dev futures discussion

Tim Bray wrote:

> A.2 Yes, please move it

I have no gripe with Oasis on a policy or issues basis; they clearly
have an important role to play in the standards universe.  But
infrastructure is not and has never been their forte.  XML-dev is a
large & busy group by Oasis standards; thus, if any Oasis mail problems
arise (and they will), we're going to get hit first and hardest.

I simply don't believe, based on the evidence to hand, that Oasis will
do a good job of hosting this list in the short, medium, or long term.

I totally don't buy the "Why don't you contact us here if it breaks?"
line - first of all, a straightforward email list SHOULDN'T BREAK (I'm
on lots of lists and this is the only one that's always breaking), and
secondly, lots of people have contacted it to no avail.  Maybe this will
magically change.

Finally, I thought that Karl's earlier posting was to the point; this is
not and has not been a priority for Oasis, and just like everyone else
they're running a tight ship these days, and why should they dedicate
scarce resources to this problem?

> B.1 Move xml-dev to ibiblio.org
> B.3 Move xml-dev to the W3C

I could go with either of these.  I know for a fact that if we went W3C,
somebody in there would do about 15 minutes work and then ignore it, and
it would more or less just run unattended forever, which is good.

On the other hand iBiblio seems to be a fine place and I'm prepared to
rely on Jonathan's testimony.  Also there's the intangible advantage
that if we go to W3C some crackbrained journalist might want to cook up
a story about competition between standards organizations, sigh.  Also
ibiblio has UNC standing behind it and probably has a better chance for
longevity than any standards organization.

So I'm probably pro-W3C simply because of personal experience; I *know*
it'll "just work".  But only by about 51% to 49%.

> B.2 Move xml-dev to Betty Harvey's ISP

I think it's awfully nice of Betty to have offered this but I suspect
she'll be happy if one of the other alternatives turns out to be a good
idea.

> B.4 Move xml-dev to DISA

Not enough experience to be in favor of this one.
--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)