   Re: [xml-dev] Virtues of benign neglect (was Re: [xml-dev] Re: XML-dev f

mc@xegesis.org (Mike Champion) writes:
>>> My thinking is the main reason that things have gone awry
>>> with OASIS is there is not a direct connection between the list
>>> membership and OASIS.
>
>> I agree with that completely, and I think that explains the problems
>> this list has had here.
>
>Hmm ... be careful what you wish for.  The fact that OASIS as an
>organization doesn't really care about xml-dev means that they don't
>care what transpires on xml-dev.  There's no pressure for moderation,
>or centralized definitions of what constitutes "spam" or "acceptable
>use," nothing other than the list's culture to define what is
>"politically correct."  Do we really want to spend time worrying about
>who will have the power that comes with responsibility for list
>administration in a world where the people involved DO care about what
>goes on?

There's a huge space between "hyperactively managed" and "no one at the
switch".  I think this past week - and the past few years worth of
problems - illustrate that a complete disconnect has real costs.

I'm not calling for a dictatorship of the proletariat, just saying that
there needs to be better ongoing communication between the list and
whoever is running the infrastructure.  That seems to be a running theme
of recent messages, including those from the people currently running
the infrastructure.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!