   Re: [xml-dev] XML-DEV Directors

Don Park wrote:

> Andrew,
>

> If XML-DEV is a child, its an orphan for its parents are gone and
> there is no one to give TLC and worry about its future.  OASIS is, in
> this analogy, an orphanage that provides just food and a place to
> sleep.  What we heard from Karl Best is what an orphan is expected to
> hear after complaining loudly about the quality of food and missing meals.
>

> XML-DEV have no website to call its own where XML-DEV members can
> contribute to.  We have no polling facility.  Member extensible FAQ
> using Wiki could have helped turn permathreads into something more
> valuable than time-waster, but OASIS is not in a position to think
> about our unasked for yet necessary needs.  All they provide is food
> and bed, not what we want, need, and think about.  That is what
> parents are for and we lost our parents when Peter and Henry left.
>  Now no one can make decisions, not even respected peers like Tim
> Bray, because there is no authority.
>

> What I want is a small group of member nominated and informally
> elected directors, 7 should suffice, to take care of XML-DEV presently
> and plan for its future.  Beyond monthly online meetings to discuss
> and plan, directors should moderate when a thread gets too heated,
> shifts topic. or turns into a permathread.  If a director burns out,
> he or she can resign and another director can be elected.  Elections
> can take place annually to avoid that situation in the first place.
>  Even if we stay at OASIS, we still need to have something like the
> directors.
>

> Without hands to hold and guide us together, we are just grains of
> sands at the mercy of winds.

Don, you seem to have a somewhat paternalistic view of what XML-DEV
should be. I think it's great that you have this vision, though my
personal perferences tend more toward the anarchistic (I guess I *like*
being a grain of sand...). Given the current XML-DEV situation it seems
unlikely that you'll be able to establish this kind of structure on the
existing list. Perhaps a better approach is to gather like-minded people
and set up a new list somewhere else, perhaps with an associated web
site. That way you'll be able to start building a moderated community
that should naturally start attracting many of the current XML-DEV
participants.

I'm actually kind of curious how those who want to move the list intend
to accomplish this, in any case. With active cooperation from OASIS this
is easy - just move the subscriber list and redirect email that still
comes in to the old host. Without active cooperation from OASIS it seems
like the best that could be accomplished would be to fork the list, with
those who really want to switch going off to the new list and the
remainder either staying on the current list or subscribing to both.
Have I missed something here, or is the assumption that if enough of the
big names petition OASIS the latter will actively facilitate a move of
the list?

  - Dennis