   Re: [xml-dev] whitespace in 1.1

>I think the trouble here is the phrase "on input, before parsing".
>It should be clarified whether this means on DTD parsing
>or on entity parsing.

DTD parsing?  I'm not sure what you mean.

It means before parsing according to the productions in the spec.
Surely "on input" doesn't leave any room for doubt?

Anyway, I don't think that is "the trouble".  I've never heard anyone
raise that question before.

>If it means the latter, what happens to the
>normal text of the document entity, or is that counted as an "external"
>parsed entity?

Yes, the document entity is an external parsed entity.  And the text in
the second edition says "including the document entity".

-- Richard