   Re: [xml-dev] An approach to let XML 2.n resources hold multipleentities

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> The idea is that every top-level occurrence of <?xml\w (where \w means word end)
> in an XML resource signals the end of any previous entity and the start of a
> new one.  So the following would be valid
>
> <?xml version="1.2"?>
> <x/>
> <?xml version="1.2"?>
> <y/>
> <?xml version="1.2"?>
> <z/>
>
> but not
>
> <?xml version="1.2"?>
> <x>
> <?xml version="1.2"?>
> </x>

and not

<?xml version="1.2"?>
   <x>
     <?xml version="1.2"?>
     <a/>
   </x>
<?xml version="1.2"?>
   <y/>
<?xml version="1.2"?>
   <z/>

?

This proposal will probably result in encoding weirdness unless it
offers some guidance in that area.

To answer Andrew's question, I can see the WS people finding this
useful (or would have a few years ago), as there is some amount of
tackiness and difficulty propogated as a result of the single
document constraint, that would not occur so much if we used good
'ole MIME or if SwA was the default packing mechanism for SOAP. Plus
performance wonks would have some motivation to go off and build
parallel parsers.

See also

http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-fragment#d1e1604
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2045.txt

> How does this fit in with XPath?
>
> At the moment,  count(/*) always is 1.  I am suggesting redefining /
> away from being the "document" to being the "resource", and then
> using indexing to get other entities.

I believe it can be > 1. In the XPath model, the root node declares
the prolog as one of its children as well as the document element
and any other processing instructions. So there might not be as much
impact there as you expect.

Bill de hÓra

--
Propylon