   Re: [xml-dev] Is #x81 is invalid char in xml 1.0

>I am trying to keep x81 as a char (similar to some char 'a') but it
>failed.

#x81 is a legal character in XML 1.0.

But do you really have an #x81 character?  What you appear to have is
a *byte* with the value x81, in a file with no encoding declaration.
By default the file is probably - depending on how you get it to the
browser - interpreted as being encoded in UTF-8, for which x81 is not
a legal character start byte.  If you really mean your x81 byte to be
interpreted as the character #x81, you need to add encoding="iso-8859-1"
to your XML declaration.

(I suspect you don't *really* want the character #x81, since that is
an undefined control character in Unicode, but are instead trying to
get arbitrary bytes accepted as legal XML.  You won't be able to do
it in XML 1.1, and it would be better to avoid it now.)

-- Richard