   RE: [xml-dev] XML too hard for programmers?

At 9:52 PM -0800 3/18/03, Dare Obasanjo wrote:

>Tim's post indicates that he is quite disconnected from the world of
>modern XML programming practices, I especially like his "The notion that
>there is an 'XML data model' is silly and unsupported by real-world
>evidence" quote. I'm interested in what criteria he used to determine
>that the thousands of users of XPath, XSLT and the DOM don't count as
>"real-world evidence".

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the DOM and XPath
data models are not the same thing? and in fact are incompatible?
(Hell, in practice, one DOM implementation's data model is often
incompatible with the next, the spec notwithstanding.) Data models
are a local choice for a particular. Only the syntax is interoperable.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |