   Re: [xml-dev] Naive question about binary encodings

"Linda Grimaldi" <grimlinda@earthlink.net> writes:

> I'm sure this is really naïve of me, but I have to admit that I don't
> understand why binary data cannot be sent within an xml document by
> providing appropriately namespace-controlled attributes that identify an
> element type as binary and specify its length.  For example:
>
> <foo xml:mytype="binary" xml:binarylength="1776">
> or some such thing, followed by 1776 octets of whatever one likes.  It's
> kind of like MIME in some respects- as long as its type and length are
> identified, you can do whatever you like with it.

You can get close to that already, provided you are prepared to hex-
or base64-encode your binary data, which is necessary to guarantee
character decoding safety and XML well-formedness:

<foo xsi:type="xs:base64Binary>
sdcfo2JTiXE=
</foo>

with the appropriate namespace declarations.

ht
                      Half-time member of W3C Team