   RE: [xml-dev] If XML is too hard for a programmer, perhaps he'd be bette

> And I don't understand this disdain for regular expressions over
> XML. Regexes are a perfectly useful tool for manipulating text.

I agree with Bill.   Right now I'm writing regex to rip through a non-XML
hierarchical document structure, looking for particular leaf nodes.  It's
the flat structure underneath the hierarchy that I want, the same flat
structure that's presented when this file's data is shown graphically.

Sometimes hierarchy gets in the way.