   Re: [xml-dev] Re: If XML is too hard for a programmer, perhaps he'd be b

> I guess that makes SAX masochistic. It's hardly a tree of nodes
> until something rips through the start and tags and builds that tree
> of nodes. I guess that makes SAX masochistic.

I think you're off the rails here.  I would think Dimitre doesn't mean that it
is masochistic to use a system that flattens XML, as long as the system takes
account of the XML syntax rules and does this flattening in a well-understood
way.  SAX is just such a system.  My DOM+Generator preference is another such
system, although its advantage for me over SAX is that it makes state
processing very easy.

Using a regex on raw XML text is a different matter altogether.  Is that
really a difficult distinction to see?

> And I don't understand this disdain for regular expressions over
> XML. Regexes are a perfectly useful tool for manipulating text.

Sure they are, and I use them for manipulating text all the time in my XML
processing code, *after* the parser has sorted out the structure for me.

Use internal references in XML vocabularies - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerw
Universal Business Language (UBL) - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/l
EXSLT by example - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-exslt.html
The worry about program wizards - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=7238