   Re: [xml-dev] If XML is too hard for a programmer, perhaps he'dbe bette

Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> Thanks Sean,
>   This is exactly what I was thinking when Tim responded. Using regexes
> to process XML may work in cases where you have complete control over
> the input XML

That is, after all, what the DPH's situation was.

"Please try, if you can, to imagine being faced with the
job of doing an element-specific mass search-and-replace over two
years' worth of company reports when all you know about XML is what
you can see by looking at the source, you've never heard of the
concept of a normalizer, and the only scripting tool you know how to
use is the Word or WordPerfect macro language."

> Also as you suggest, in mission critical systems relying on regexen is
> extremely unwise.

Agreed.

  Paul Prescod