   Java/Python (was XML, programmers)

rsalz@datapower.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>> On that thread somwhere would be my wishing that Simon would some
>> day find it in his heart to port his experientations to Python :-)
>
>Yes, please!  (That Java stuff is a fad...)

Thanks for the appreciation.  Hopefully someday it'll come together
smoothly enough to get past the experiment stage!

Python makes a lot more intrinsic sense for XML work, I agree, and I
think I've learned a great deal from the work that the Python and Perl
communities have done.  SAX2 was a brilliant bit of community work, I
think, but unfortunately the Java community hasn't shown nearly as much
creativity since, IMHO. (John Cowan's TagSoup is probably the wildest
Java/XML bit out there - it's definitely _possible_ to do crazy and
excellent things in Java!)

On the other hand, I'm pretty comfortable with the work I'm doing, and
suspect it's probably best to continue on this path. After about three
years of writing code, I'm finally feeling like a coherent framework is
emerging.  May as well finish it before porting it elsewhere!

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!