   Re: [xml-dev] CDATA

> From: "Karl Waclawek" <karl@waclawek.net>
>
> > Only drawback: regular text editors have problems with binary data.
>
> And you rule out one simple implementation technique: transcode the entity
> then parse it.  If people complain that it is too difficult to find <? in
> a document, they may scream if you have to transcode, and normalize,
> and parse all at the same time.

Who says implementing a parser is easy? ;-)

> And also you rule out regular expression parsing.
>
> Also, you can no longer send it as MIME text/*

Yes. All good points, even though they can be solved or worked around.

The problem, however, remains: How does XML coexist with binary
(opaque) data? Embed the binary data in XML, embed XML in the binary data?
Have them as separate data streams that are somehow synchronized together?
Or consider any such problem as outside of XML's application domain?

I don't claim I have an answer, I am just asking the questions
and try to explore possible solutions.

Karl