   Re: [xml-dev] Re: 3 possible approaches for representing concepts

Chiusano Joseph wrote:
> Clarification: There was some stray text at the end, here are the 3
> approaches:
>
> APPROACH #1: Element-based approach
>
> - One long-named element that represents the entire "concept":
>
> <CurrentYearBudgetFinalEstimatedAmount>999.99</CurrentYearBudgetFinalEstimatedAmount>

<BudgetFinalEstimatedAmountCurrentYear />
<EstimatedAmountCurrentYearBudgetFinal />
<CurrentYearBudgetAmountFinalEstimated />

computerDeutsch!

But I did that for a reason. There's no obvious way to organize this
data (its almost like a bunch of metadata with no data to attach
to). In code, you can hang computerDeutsch of a verb or a process,
but not here.

> APPROACH #2: Attribute-based approach
>
> - One short- and simply-named element that represents the most basic
> concept, with multiple attributes to "fill in the meaning":
>
> <Amount yearType="CurrentYear" amountType="Budget"
> finalIndicator="Final" estimateIndicator="Estimated">999.99</Amount>

I would prefer this but lean toward using elements, and would make
the primary thing we're talking about a budget rather than an
amount, since that's closer to the domain and seems to be what we're
caring about (I think!):

<Budget>
  <Amount>999.99</Amount>
  <year>CurrentYear</year>
  <indicators>
    <indicator>Final</indicator>
    <indicator>Estimated</indicator>
  </indicators>
</Budget>

In an alternate universe, I might be thinking about RDF or OWL for
this data. In this one I'd be going back to the users to find out
the thing they care about; I guessed budget, and could be wrong.

my 2 cents.

Bill de hÓra